Just as James Joyce is closely linked with Dublin, Sligo is Yeats territory. W.B. Yeats and his artist brother Jack were inspired by the beauty and peace of the surrounding countryside. Follow in the brothers' footsteps and explore Sligo Town, which is undergoing a rejuvenation.
Learn more about Sligo Town »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Follow the Yeats Trail, which winds through places closely associated with the poet.
- The Yeats Memorial Building houses the Yeats Society and Sligo Art Gallery, which hosts contemporary art exhibits. There's an excellent tea room for refueling.
- Housed in a beautifully renovated school, the Model Arts Centre and Niland Gallery is one of Ireland's premier venues for visual and performing arts. It also has an extensive collection of drawings by Jack Yeats.
- Sligo Town is a festival hot spot; there are festivals devoted to hill-walking, fishing, poetry, art, and food.
- Lough Gill, a mile east of Sligo Town, is a lovely lake with Parke's Castle on its shores.