Galway City is one of the liveliest destinations in Ireland, so don't come here expecting a quiet, quaint town. It's a favorite weekend getaway for the Irish and is known as the city of festivals. Galway offers a thriving arts scene as well as waterside views.
Learn more about Galway City »
- Art and Culture
- Start at Eyre Square, the heart of the city, which has a memorial to John F. Kennedy. Continue to the artsy medieval quarter.
- Explore the charming Claddagh district, once an Irish-speaking fishing village. This is where the traditional Claddagh ring was first made.
- Lynch's Castle (now a branch of Allied Irish Bank) is Galway's finest remaining example of a 16th-century fortified house. Some of the decorative details have a Spanish flair.
- The Galway Arts Festival in mid-July showcases the best in theater, the arts, comedy, and jazz.
- The annual Oyster Festival in September celebrates the mollusk with shucking contests and free entertainment.
- Visit the fabled Aran Islands, an eerie, isolated landscape where some residents still get around by pony and cart.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe