Derry is your introduction to Northern Ireland; it's famous for being the location of the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972. Those in favor of British rule call it Londonderry; for everyone else, it's Derry. By any name it's Ireland's only walled city and has fine examples of Georgian and Victorian architecture along with brightly painted pubs and museums.
Learn more about Derry »
- Art and Culture
- The top thing to do in Derry is stroll along the parapet walkway atop the ramparts of the city walls, which are more than 6 feet thick. You'll get great views of the city center.
- Learn all about Derry's history in the Tower Museum, housed in a reconstructed medieval fort. Exhibitions cover an eccentric local bishop and the Spanish Armada.
- The Museum of Free Derry pays homage to the events of the Bloody Sunday Massacre. Visitors will find a real-time recording of the event.
- Halloween is taken very seriously here; handmade costumes are the norm, and pubs may refuse to serve anyone not in disguise.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe