Though it has a reputation as Amsterdam's "prissy aunt," The Hague has many delights that are hardly fussy at all. From the marvelous Mauritshuis to the seaside pleasures of Scheveningen, it's a sweet spot just an hour outside of Amsterdam.
- Art and Culture
- Vermeer's splendid Girl with a Pearl Earring is kept at the Mauritshuis, along with a collection of other famed Dutch works—14 Rembrandts and 2 additional Vermeers.
- The Escher Museum incorporates the artist's aesthetic with an "Escher Experience" and disorienting rooms.
- The Dutch seat of government is in the sprawling 13th-century Inner Court, restored to its former splendor in 1900.
- The International Sand Sculpture Competition is held in August.
- The International Fireworks Festival also takes place in August.
- The seaside town of Scheveningen, just outside the city, has been a popular Dutch resort for centuries.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's