A cornucopia of activity and a gateway to Europe, Amsterdam is an impressive city. With exceptional nightlife, top notch museums, and scads cafés, coffee shops, and cosy bars there's much to see and do here, whether it's for a week or just a day.
Learn more about Amsterdam »
- Food and Wine
- Walk along the canals of the Jordaan, one of Amsterdam's most beautiful neighborhoods. Prinsengracht is worth exploring in particular.
- The Rijksmuseum holds many of Amsterdam's art treasures; Van Gogh has his own, separate museum just around the corner.
- One of the most moving experiences in the city is a visit to the Anne Frank House, maintained as it was when she was hidden there.
- Art Amsterdam, the city's modern art festival, takes place at the end of May.
- The Taste of Amsterdam Food Festival is in the last week of June.
- Alkmaar, 25 mi/40 km to the northwest, is a "cheese town" that also has a beautiful 15th-century weigh house.
- Zaandam, 10 mi/16 km to the northwest, is home to a pretty, open-air museum.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe