From Copenhagen to Stockholm, Including the Danish RivieraBack to European itinerary browser »
Scandinavia's big cities may draw the tourists, but the locals head out of town to explore the region's countryside nearly every weekend. This itinerary splits the difference, taking you to cosmopolitan Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens and island-hopping through Stockholm with a taste of Danish castles and the northern European beaches of Zealand and Gotland.
- Natural Beauty
- Art and Culture
This Trip's Top Experiences:
A Laid-back Capital
- Sample the nightlife in Strøget—a few bars here stay open until 5 a.m.
- The Tivoli Gardens are Denmark's most popular attraction for a reason; stroll the lush grounds, grab a bite at one of the 38 restaurants, or catch a concert
- Miss the 60s? Visit Christiania, an anarchist's commune with a surprisingly functional system for tours
The Danish Riviera
- Louisiana—the modern art museum in Humlebaek, not the state—boasts modern art by Picasso and Warhol in a 19th-century villa
- Hamlet was here: Kronborg Castle was the inspiration for Elsinore Castle in Shakespeare's play
- Hit the beaches of Hornbaek, Denmark's Riviera in the summer
The Archipelago Capital
- Tapestries, arms and armor, and the crown jewels are on display at the Royal Palace
- At the City Hall, you can see where the Nobel Prize is awarded or catch a panoramic view from the 348-foot tower
- Take advantage of extra daylight and stay out late at one of the city's nightclubs—they're open until 3 a.m.
Swedish Island Life
- Sweden's main holiday island is full of delightful mystery, from ruined forts to tiny medieval houses
- Check out the bird sanctuaries south of Visby; they may look like penguins, but those are actually guillemots
- Come nightfall, attend one of Gotland's decadent beach parties
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's