ChartresBack to France with Kids »
After the material excesses of Versailles, Chartres provides a welcome antidote. The magnificent Cathédral Notre Dame, better known as Chartres Cathedral, is more than just a church. Most people would describe visiting it as akin to a religious experience. The whole town, with its old houses and quaint streets, is worth a leisurely visit.
Learn more about Chartres »
- Art and Culture
- The cathedral's Royal Portal is richly sculpted with scenes from the life of Christ, and these sculptures are among the best from the Middle Ages.
- Chartres is famous for its stained glass windows, which are some of the finest in France. The Rose Window is above the main window, while the oldest, Our Lady of the Lovely Window, contains an unusual shade of blue.
- Visit the Musée des Beaux Arts, just behind the cathedral, which contains tapestries, armor, and fine French paintings from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's