No trip to France is complete without visiting Paris. This legendary city is filled with world-class art museums, restaurants, shops, and architecture. It would take a lifetime to experience everything the city has to offer, but make sure to visit the Marais, St-Germain, and Montmartre, and carve out time to just sit in a café and watch the world parade by.
Learn more about Paris »
- Food and Wine
- Art and Culture
- Highlights at the Louvre include the Mona Lisa, the Winged Victory, masterpieces by Delacroix and Whistler, and more than 800,000 other works.
- Paris is filled with elegant gardens, and one of the most beautiful is the Jardin du Luxembourg. Don't miss the fountains and the pond.
- The great Gothic cathedral of Notre Dame was the inspiration for Victor Hugos hunchback.
- Enjoy five-star dining or a terrific meal at a humble bistro.
- Window shop or blow the budget in the chic shops along Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
- No matter when you visit Paris, a major event will be happening, from the Tour de France to wine, food, rock, and jazz festivals.
- Versailles, once the home of Louis XIV and 20,000 of his courtiers, lies just 10 mi/16 km west of Paris. Highlights include the Hall of Mirrors and the Royal Opera.
- The 12th-century cathedral at Chartres, 55 mi/89 km southwest of Paris, is a spiritual experience for some. Others come to admire the stained glass and rich sculpture.
- Visit Monets house and gardens at Giverny (44 mi/71 km northwest of Paris), which inspired many of his works.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's