The French Riviera is an unusual blend of the glamorous and the rugged. The international jet set descends on Cannes, Cap-Ferrat, and St-Tropez, but visitors heading inland will discover hilltop villages seemingly untouched by time (and by other tourists). Catch a few rays on a pebbled beach, and when you've had enough sun, visit one of the regions top art museums, where youll find plenty of works by modern masters.
Learn more about Cannes »
- Natural Beauty
- Visit superb art museums showcasing the works of Picasso, Matisse, , and Giacometti in Antibes, Nice, and St-Paul.
- Tiny Monaco oozes glamour and wealth. If youre feeling flush, try your hand at one of the many casinos. If youre on a budget, visit the Jardin Exotique de Monaco, carved out of rock face and dotted with grottoes, rare plants, and caves.
- The hill towns wedged behind the coast between Cannes and Antibes, are filled with fields of lavender and stone villages and look like they've been untouched for centuries. St-Paul is one of the most beautiful.
- In Nice, stroll along the seaside Promenade des Anglais to soak up the sun and the sights.
- In May, some of the biggest events are the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Grand Prix.
- Have lunch at the famous Colombe dOr in St-Paul-de-Vence (11 mi/18 km northwest of Nice), which has incomparable food and an art collection to match, including works by Miró and Bonnard.
- Explore the beautiful fishing village of Villefranche-Sur-Mer, which has brightly painted houses and a harbor nestled in the caldera of a volcano.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe