Getting to the Isle of Skye is one of its highlights; if you drive, you'll take in raw landscape and big, open horizons. The island has a mysterious atmosphere, thanks to its unusual quality of light, mist, and mountains. Start at Eilean Donan Castle before exploring striking rock formations and shopping for crafts.
Learn more about Isle of Skye »
- Art and Culture
- Natural Beauty
- Eilean Donan Castle is one of the most beautiful in Scotland, thanks to its dramatic location on an islet. The structure is all wood and stone; take time and go inside.
- Hardened lava flow along the Trotternish Peninsula created a curious pinnacle called Old Man of Storr. Don't miss nearby Kilt Rock, shaped like (you guessed it) a kilt. Farther north, the Quiraing offers more unusual formations.
- Buy locally made crafts, including pottery and jewelry, and shop for knitwear in towns like Armadale and Portree.
- Take a drive in Glen Brittle to see the steep Cuillin Mountains; take a hike in the mountains if you're fit. You can also see the Cuillins and great sea life on a boat trip.
- Dunvegan Castle, 22 mi/25 km west of Portree, was the seat of Clan Macleod.