Lapland/Arctic CircleBack to Essential Finland: Helsinki to Lapland »
Europe's last wilderness, Lapland is home to the Lapp, or Sami, people. In summertime, visitors come for the 24 hours of sunshine and to explore the region's natural beauty through outdoor activities. Start in Rovaniemi, the biggest city in Lapland.
- Natural Beauty
- Learn about the Sami at the Arctic Research Center. It's also home to a museum that explains how the Lapps survive in such harsh conditions.
- The Lappia-Talo, designed by famed Finn Alvar Aalto, hosts concerts and other productions throughout the year.
- The Midnight Sun Film Festival is in mid-June.
- Luosto, 65 mi/105 km to the north, is the center of the Finnish moors. It's perfect for biking and mountaineering.
- Spend the day canoeing on Lake Inari or on the rapids of the Ivalojoki River.