Carved out of an enormous plateau of volcanic rock high above a valley, the town of Orvieto is an enchanting maze of alleys and squares. Today its biggest draws are the Duomo and the archaeological museum. While you're there, sample its fine white wine, known to the rest of the world simply as "Orvieto."
Learn more about Orvieto »
- Art and Culture
- Orvieto's Duomo has a gorgeous façade and a chapel stunningly frescoed with scenes from the Last Judgment by Luca Signorelli.
- The Museo Archeologico Claudio Faina showcases Greek and Etruscan pottery.
- Take a tour of the city's underground tunnels and chambers.
- If you're curious about ancient engineering, check out the Roman aqueduct at Narni, 29 mi/47 km southeast of Orvieto. Iit's the only one in Italy open to the public.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe