HeidelbergBack to Classic Trips: Germany and France »
A legendary university town, Heidelberg is the epitome of umpah-pah Germanic good times and a living museum of historic buildings. Redolent of the era of German Romanticism, it has a youthful vibe, thanks to its scads of youthful students.
Learn more about Heidelberg »
- The town castle is a layer cake of architectural styles, including Baroque, Renaissance, and Stuart. Kids love its nifty Apothecary Museum, with its mummies and flagons filled with dried beetles.
- The Alte Brücke bridge spans the Neckar River. Heir to many previous bridges, it picturesquely frames the entrance to the Old Town.
- The Schlossbeleuchtung, or "Castle Illuminations", is a fireworks show that happens in early June, July, and September.
- At the end of June, the Castle Festival includes music and dancing at the Schloss.
- Stuttgart's popular, five-year-old Mercedes-Benz Museum is 75 mi/121 km to the south.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's