Baden-BadenBack to Classic Trips: Germany and France »
Long the favorite spa town of dukes and princes, the glamorous Baden-Baden isn't as fussy as it would seem. With a hip new museum, a so-old-it's-cool casino, and even a horse track, Baden-Baden has plenty of vibrant delights.
Learn more about Baden-Baden »
- Art and Culture
- To soak in style head to the gilded and grand Friedrichsbad Spa. The 19th-century structure has ravishing décor and, oh yes, steam baths and thermal pools.
- Designed by Richard Meier, the Museum Frieder Burda is a private collection of art that boasts work by Picasso, German Expressionists, and contemporary artists.
- Baden-Baden's casino dates to 1855. In the older days, Kaiser Wilhelm I and Bismarck were regular guests.
- The Iffezheim horse track hosts international meets in late May and late August.
- The sunny resort town of Freudenstadt is 32 mi/52 km to the south.
- The 1,200 year old town of Ettlingen is 25 mi/40 km to the north.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe