Paris is Paris—there is no equal. With everything from cozy cafés to incredible art, it's at the top of many lists with good reason. Even seeing the classic sights will leave you impressed, whether it's your first trip or your fifteenth.
Learn more about Paris »
- At the top of the Eiffel Tower, which offers a panoramic vista of the city, enjoy a meal at the Jules Verne restaurant (don't forget to reserve in advance).
- If you're short on time, the Louvre's masterworks, from the Mona Lisa to the Venus de Milo, can be seen in under an hour if you skip the line at the main entrance in favor of the Carrousel du Louvre.
- Notre-Dame isn't the country's oldest or largest cathedral, but it's one of the most iconic.
- The Paris Plage, an in-city beach project, is unveiled in mid-July.
- Louis XIV's Versailles, the palace to beat all others, is 10 mi/16 km west of the city.
- Luminous Chartres cathedral is 55 mi/89 km to the southwest.