A cornucopia of activity and a gateway to Europe, Amsterdam is known for its nightlife, top-notch museums, welcoming cafés, and cozy bars.
Learn more about Amsterdam »
- Food and Wine
- Walk along the canals of the Jordaan, one of Amsterdam's most beautiful neighborhoods. Prinsengracht is especially worth exploring.
- The Rijksmuseum holds many of Amsterdam's art treasures; van Gogh has his own museum just around the corner.
- One of the most moving experiences in the city is a visit to the Anne Frank House, maintained as it was when she was hidden there.
- Art Amsterdam, the city's modern-art festival, takes place at the end of May.
- The Taste of Amsterdam Food Festival is in the last week of June.
- Alkmaar, 25 mi/40 km to the northwest, is known for its cheese and its beautifully preserved 15th-century weigh house.
- Zaandam, 10 mi/16 km to the northwest, is home to an open-air museum.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe