Rothenburg ob der TauberBack to Classic Trips: Driving Germany's Romantic Road »
Rothenburg is the epitome of a picturesque medieval town. Filled with half-timber houses with a backdrop of towers and turrets, the city offers a taste of Germany's past. It swells with tourists in summer, but that's what happens when you're this good looking.
Learn more about Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber »
- Great Drive
- Natural Beauty
- Explore the town within the walls, with a stop at the Herterich Fountains. Even the walls themselves can be trod upon via a wooden walkway.
- The Doll and Toy Museum has 1,000 items, some more than 200 years old. There are also theaters and model shops for kids.
- The Town Hall is half gothic (started in 1240) and half neoclassical (started in 1572). Look for the famed 6-pint Meistertrunk.
- The Meistertrunk Festival in late May celebrates the wager that saved the town during the Thirty Years' War, with townspeople in period costumes.
- Rothenburg's Reichstadt-Festtage celebrates the city's freedom (gained in 1274) with reenactments in late September.
- Watch the eagles and falcons at the Schloss Schillingfürst, a baroque castle 12 mi/19 km to the south.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe