Featuring the best-preserved town walls in all of Germany, Nördlingen is something of a mystery—not just the town itself, but the basin it sits in—the product of a meteor strike many years ago. It's an evocative outpost along this romantic route.
Learn more about Nördlingen »
- Great Drive
- Cycle the Ries, a basin formed by a meteor. The compressed rock it created was used to construct many of Nördlingen's buildings.
- St. Georg Church is home to sentries who give the all clear for two hours every night, a tradition from the Thirty Years' War. The tower's view is unsurpassed in the region.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe