Switzerland's high-energy metropolis, Zurich is more than a banking capital. From impressive churches to awesome art collections, the city has much to offer culture vultures. If shopping is your favorite pastime, you'll find Bahnhofstrasse a feast for the eyes, although a challenge to the wallet.
Learn more about Zürich »
- The Great Church is a 12th-century structure with 18th-century updates—the core spans the Carolingian to Gothic styles with one modern touch, Giacometti's stained-glass windows.
- The Stiftung Sammlung E.G. Bührle has a stunning array of Manets, Monets, and more. Be forewarned: because of a robbery in 2008, visits are by appointment only.
- Zurich is a shopper's paradise. Walk along the Bahnhofstrasse for a peek at high-end boutiques, or head to Niederdorf for more avant-garde looks.
- The Theater Spectacular comes at the end of August into September.
- Tango Week dances into town at the end of July.
- World-famous masterpieces can be found at the Am Römerholz art collection, 12 mi/19 km northeast of Zurich.
- The Rhine Falls, 30 mi/48 km northeast of Zurich, impressed Wordsworth and Goethe.