Luzern (Lucerne) owes much of its development to tourism, but that's because it's so darn pretty. From wooden bridges to the surrounding mountains and lakeside locale, it's got all the things that make Switzerland famous.
Learn more about Luzern »
- Natural Beauty
- Straddling the Reuss river, the iconic Chapel Bridge is a 14th-century landmark graced with religious frescoes and geranium-filled flower boxes.
- Awash in gilt and frescoes, Luzern's Jesuit Church was constructed in 1667 but is crowned with two 19th-century onion domes.
- The concert-packed Luzern Festival is held every year from mid-August to mid-September.
- Mt. Pilatus is just 6 mi/10 km outside the city, accessible by cable car and one of the world's steepest cogwheel trains.
- Just 6 mi/10 km south of Luzern, Stans is a charming example of an old Swiss town.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's