VersaillesBack to Best of France »
Think of Versailles as one big, sprawling history lesson. The sumptuous Château de Versailles was once home to Louis XIV and his 20,000 courtiers. It is the grandest palace in France, but more like an entire world unto itself. Spend the majority of your time touring the glittering grand salons and the exquisite gardens. The town itself is worth a look as well.
Learn more about Versailles »
- Art and Culture
- Be awed by the Hall of Mirrors in the Château. It measures 240 feet long and is lined by 17 enormous mirrors that reflect the light of glittering chandeliers.
- Tour the opulent and over-the-top King's Apartments (all 15 of them) and the Queen's Bedchamber which are glammed up with silk wall-hangings, frescoes, and paintings.
- Head outside to explore the Parc de Versailles, one of Europe's largest parks. It is laid out in geometric style. Rivers were diverted to flow into 600 fountains, and entire forests were replanted here.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe