Nice manages to strike an engaging balance between historic, Provençal grace, urban energy, and high culture. It is the capital of the Riviera and one of the oldest; the city was founded by the Greeks in the 4th century BC. Today Nice's biggest draws are its pastel palaces, Old Town, and views of the bay.
Learn more about Nice »
- Art and Culture
- Walking along the seaside Promenade des Anglais in Nice is one of the iconic Riviera experiences. With the backdrop of the sea and the mountains, you'll stroll past pastel, grand hotels and hilltop chateaux.
- A huge collection of Henri Matisse's works is on display at the Musée Matisse, which includes paintings, book illustrations, and photographs of him at work.
- The 14th-century Château Grimaldi dominates the Vieille Ville of Haut-de-Cagnes. It is filled with a quirky collection of art and medieval treasures, as well as a display dedicated to cabaret singer Suzy Solidor.
- In mid-February, Nice hosts one of the most spectacular Carnival celebrations in France.
- In June, the Nice Jazz Festival takes place.
- Visit the Musée Renoir in Haut-de-Cagnes, 9 mi/15 km west of Nice, housed in a villa where the artist lived for the last 12 years of his life. Renoir often painted the landscape around him.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's