Aix-en-ProvenceBack to Best of France »
Sun-drenched Provence is one of the most beautiful places in France, and one of the best places to soak it all up is in Aix-en-Provence. The main hub of Provence, this cultured city is also Cézanne country, so walk along the elegant 18th-century streets to see the landscape that inspired him.
Learn more about Aix-en-Provence »
- Art and Culture
- Pay homage to Cézanne at his former studio, the Atelier Cézanne, where he created some of his finest paintings. What is most striking is the collection of simple objects (like a ginger jar) that were once featured in his work.
- Explore the extravagant Pavillon de Vendôme, a Baroque villa built as a country house in 1665. Inside you'll find a collection of Provençal furniture and artwork.
- Visit the Cathédrale St-Sauveur, which houses a startling amount of architectural history. The colonnade was recovered from a Roman temple to honor pagan deities.
- The Atelier Cézanne holds literary and gastronomic events in July.
- Drive along the Lavender Route to see fields of the purple flower— you can even stand waist-deep in it.