Inverness and Loch NessBack to Best of Britain: England, Scotland, and Wales »
There's plenty to love about the Inverness area beyond the famed monster of Loch Ness. For one, Cawdor Castle is a spooky delight, keeping with the eerie theme created by Nessie. For whisky lovers, it's also a fine base to explore some of the better Scottish distilleries.
Learn more about Inverness »
- Natural Beauty
- Food and Wine
- Nairn is home to Cawdor Castle, where Macbeth laid his head. Dating to the 14th century, it's still inhabited today.
- Loch Ness may or may not be home to a famous monster, but it's fun to keep an eye out either way. You can take a boat ride on the lake.
- Fort George is an 18th-century military fortification that is one of the most impressive of the period. Built after an uprising in 1745, it remains in use by the Scottish military today.
- The whiskey distilleries of Speyside are within striking distance; the Malt Whisky trail starts in Forres.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe