Leuven, like Oxford or Cambridge, is a place where underneath the hubbub of daily life you sense an age-old devotion to learning and scholarship. Here these lofty ideals are accompanied by a healthy devotion to beer.
- Food and Wine
- Leuven is considered the beer capital of Belgium, and Stella Artois the premier institution of Belgian brewing. You can tour the mammoth building, with its sleek modern exterior and enormous vats, but be sure to schedule three weeks in advance.
- The casual, authentically rustic Domus brewery is famous for its honey beer. Linger here amid craggy old beams, labyrinthine rooms, dusty bric-a-brac, and paisley table cloths.
- Take a break from all that beer by stopping at the Stadhuis, Leuven's ornate medieval town hall.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's