Though overshadowed by nearby Brugge, Ghent has plenty of pleasures on its own, including a similarly beautiful central area that's much less crowded than that of its big brother. The city is especially welcoming to lovers of art, both ancient and modern. It's a good base from which to explore the Liefmans and Roman breweries.
Learn more about Gent »
- Food and Wine
- Make an appointment to visit Liefmans brewery, where several tasty beers are made, including the soft dark Oud Bruin. Make sure to see the magnificent Baudelot hall.
- Stop at Roman, a brewery run by the same family (now in its 12th generation) since 1545.
- The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb, van Eyck's masterpiece, is in St. Bavo's Cathedral. The 12-paneled work was completed in 1432 but looks shockingly modern.
- The 10-day Gentse Feesten is held the third week in July and features costume balls and a techno festival.
- Patersholfeesten fills the Patershol quarter with music and parades in August.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe