AmsterdamBack to Belgium for Beer Lovers »
The hub of activity in the Low Countries and a gateway to Europe, Amsterdam is an impressive city. With exceptional nightlife, scads of museums, and an easily navigable layout, there's much to see here, whether for a day or a week.
Learn more about Amsterdam »
- Food and Wine
- Walk around the canals of the Jordaan, one of Amsterdam's most beautiful neighborhoods. Prinsengracht is especially worth exploring.
- The Rijksmuseum holds many of Amsterdam's art treasures; van Gogh has his own museum under the same umbrella.
- One of the most moving experiences in the city is a visit to the Anne Frank House, maintained as it was when she was hidden there.
- Art Amsterdam, the city's modern-art festival, takes place at the end of May.
- The Taste of Amsterdam Food Festival is the last week in June.
- Alkmaar, 25 mi/40 km northwest of Amsterdam, is known for cheese and also has a beautiful 15th-century weigh house.
- Zaandam, 10 mi/16 km northwest, is home to an open-air museum.