This island offers serene, azure-blue water beaches, and verdant landscapes—not to mention a superb cuisine which blends the flavors of Asia Minor with those of Greece. Top attractions include the fabled sites of the Temple at Heraion and the Roman baths at Pythagorio. It also makes an ideal stopover before heading to Turkey.
Learn more about Samos »
- Natural Beauty
- The Archaeological Museum is the most important sight in Samos Town. It holds the largest freestanding sculpture surviving from ancient Greece, a statue of a nude youth.
- In Heraion, see the remains of the mighty Temple of Hera, which was once four times bigger than the Parthenon and the largest temple built in Greece. It was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Follow a coastal road lined with olive groves and vineyards to reach the fishing village of Kokkari, one of the most appealing spots on the island. Traipse along a rocky beach while watching the fishermen out trawling.
- In high summer, a fishermen's festival centers on the harbor at Pythagorio.
- Samos offers plenty of events, from a wine festival in late summer to early fall Panhellenic dances in Samos town.
- See the underground aqueducts at Pythagorio, which Herodotus considered the world's Eighth Wonder.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's