Architecture and Beer in Germany's Great CitiesBack to European itinerary browser »
This itinerary shows Germany's cities, and precisely what they have to offer. You'll tipple to your hearts content in the beer gardens of Munich, see the magnificent architecture of Dresden—much of it restored since the fall of communism—before finishing up in Berlin, the design center of Germany and home to many of its modern architectural masterworks.
- Food and Wine
- Art and Culture
This Trip's Top Experiences:
Bavaria's Traditional Capital
- It's not just about Oktoberfest. This town loves its suds year-round, from sipping in a beer garden to the craziness of the Hofbrauhaus
- The walk up may be long—86 steps—but the view from the top of the 14th-century Frauenkirche can't be beat
- Work off all the beer and sausages with a bike ride or a stroll among the Englischer Garten's lakes and parks
East German Baroque
- Dresden's Church of Our Lady was destroyed during the Second World War but remains a symbol of the city today
- The Baroque beauty of the Zwinger is stunning, filled with fountains and pools
- The New Green Vault contains everything from crown jewels to Ivan the Terrible's drinking bowl.
Modern Architecture and Nightlife
- The Reichstag, with a glass dome designed by Norman Foster, is the perfect example of Berlin's mixture of old and new architecture
- The Holocaust museum's design, by Daniel Libeskind, exemplifies the power of architecture to address monumental topics
- The city is justly famous for nightlife; districts in the former East are filled with hip bars and late-night clubs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe