- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
No matter where you are in Italy, you can dial 113 in case of emergency: the call will be directed to the local police. Not all 113 operators speak English, so you may want to ask a local person to place the call. Asking the operator for "pronto soccorso" (first aid and also the emergency room of a hospital) should get you an ambulanza (ambulance). If you just need a doctor, ask for "un medico."
Italy has the carabinieri (national police force, their emergency number is 112 from anywhere in Italy) as well as the polizia (local police force). Both are armed and have the power to arrest and investigate crimes. Always report the loss of your passport to the police as well as to your embassy. When reporting a crime, you'll be asked to fill out una denuncia (official report); keep a copy for your insurance company. You should also contact the police any time you have a car accident of any sort.
Local traffic officers, known as vigili, are responsible for, among other things, giving out parking tickets. They wear white (in summer) or black uniforms. Should you find yourself involved in a minor car accident in town, contact the vigili.
Pharmacies are generally open weekdays 8:30-1 and 4-8, and Saturday 9-1. Local pharmacies rotate covering the off-hours in shifts: on the door of every pharmacy is a list of which pharmacies in the vicinity will be open late.
U.S. Consulate Florence. Via Lungarno Vespucci 38, Florence. 055/266951.
U.S. Consulate Milan. Via Principe Amedeo 2/10, Milan. 02/290351.
U.S. Consulate Naples. Piazza della Repubblica, Naples. 081/5838111.
U.S. Embassy. Via Veneto 119/A, Rome, 00187. 06/46741. www.usembassy.it.
General Emergency Contacts
National police. 112.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean