La Fenice's more intimate sister venue was built by the powerful Grimani family in 1677, opening as the Teatro Grimani a San Gristostomo and soon becoming one of Europe's most famous theaters. The theater at first hosted theatrical productions, including many works by Metastasio and, later, Goldoni. It became an opera house in the early 19th century and was renamed Malibran in 1835, after Maria Garcia Malibran, the great soprano of her day. It was converted into a movie theater in 1927 and then reopened for live performances in 2001 after lengthy restoration.
Campiello del Teatro Malibran, Cannaregio 5870, Venice, Veneto, 30124, Italy