When the order of Santa Maria del Carmelo commissioned Baldassare Longhena to finish the work on the Scuola Grande dei Carmini in the 1670s, their brotherhood of 75,000 members was the largest in Venice and one of the wealthiest. Little expense was spared in the decorating of stuccoed ceilings and carved ebony paneling, and the artwork was choice, even before 1739, when Tiepolo began painting the Sala Capitolare. In what many consider his best work, Tiepolo's nine
great canvases vividly transform some rather conventional religious themes into dynamic displays of color and movement.
Campo dei Carmini, Dorsoduro 2617, Venice, 30123, Italy