- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Majestic Urbino, atop a steep hill with a skyline of towers and domes, is something of a surprise to come upon. Although quite remote, it was once a center of learning and culture almost without rival in Western Europe. The town looks much as it did in the glory days of the 15th century: a cluster of warm brick and pale stone buildings, all topped with russet-color tile roofs. The focal point is the immense and beautiful Palazzo Ducale.
The city is home to the small but prestigious Università di Urbino—one of the oldest in the world—and the streets are usually filled with students. Urbino is very much a college town, with the usual array of bookshops, bars, and coffeehouses. In summer the Italian student population is replaced by foreigners who come to study Italian language and arts at several prestigious private fine-arts academies.
Urbino's fame rests on the reputation of three of its native sons: Duke Federico da Montefeltro (1422-82), the enlightened warrior-patron who built the Palazzo Ducale; Raffaello Sanzio (1483-1520), or Raphael, one of the most influential painters in history and an embodiment of the spirit of the Renaissance; and the architect Donato Bramante (1444-1514), who translated the philosophy of the Renaissance into buildings of grace and beauty. Unfortunately there's little work by either Bramante or Raphael in the city, but the duke's influence can still be felt strongly.
Urbino at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $259 -- Venice: Luxury Boutique Hotel thru Summer, $45 Off LaGare Hotel Venezia Mgallery Collection
- $1799 & up -- Italy 3-City, 9-Night Trip w/Air, Car & Train Europe Express
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- Impressions of Italy IExplore