Umbria and the Marches Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Umbria and the Marches Restaurant Reviews
Central Italy is mountainous, and its food is hearty and straightforward, with a stick-to-the-ribs quality that for centuries has seen hardworking farmers and artisans through a long day's work and helped them make the steep climb home at night.
In restaurants here, as in much of Italy, you're rewarded for seeking out the local cuisines, and you'll often find better and cheaper food if you're willing to stray a few hundred yards from the main sights. Spoleto is noted for its good food and service, probably a result of high expectations from the international arts crowd. For gourmets, however, it's hard to beat Spello, which has both excellent restaurants and first-rate wine merchants.
A rule of thumb for eating well throughout Umbria is to order what's in season; the trick is to stroll through local markets to see what's for sale. A number of restaurants in the region offer degustazione (tasting) menus, which give you a chance to try different local specialties without breaking the bank.
Browse Umbria and the Marches Restaurants
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe