- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Making the Most of Your Time
The towns in southern Tuscany are fairly close together, so it's possible to pick one of them as your base and take day trips to almost everywhere else in the region. Pienza, in the middle of the Val d'Orcia, makes an excellent place to begin your trip. Other good choices include Montepulciano and Montalcino. From any of these it's only a short drive to all the other towns in the Val d'Orcia, as well as the famous abbeys in and around Le Crete.
If your main reason for visiting this region is a dip in the hot springs, you should stay in Saturnia or one of the surrounding villages. (Because so many people go there for a soak, Saturnia has the most luxurious lodgings.)
If your destination is the Tuscan archipelago, you'd do best to choose one island, as there is no ferry service between them. Elba is more famous, but it's hard to find a place to lay your towel in the summer months. Giglio has less crowded beaches, and a few accessible on foot or by boat that you might have to yourself.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Pisa Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $266+/Nt Expedia
- Stay 2 night and save 15% off your stay!: Galilei in May Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Pisa Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- La Torre in May: $69 & Up — $69 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at La Pace Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia