- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Getting Here and Around
From Florence, the quickest way to make the 75-km (45-mile) drive to Siena is via the Florence-Siena Superstrada. Otherwise, take the Via Cassia (SR2), for a scenic route. Coming from Rome, leave the A1 at Valdichiana, and follow the Siena-Bettole Superstrada. SITA provides excellent bus service between Florence and Siena. Because buses are direct and speedy, they're preferable to the train, which sometimes involves a change in Empoli.
If you come by car, you're better off leaving it in one of the parking lots around the perimeter of town. Driving is difficult or impossible in most parts of the city center. Practically unchanged since medieval times, Siena is laid out in a "Y" over the slopes of several hills, dividing the city into terzi (thirds).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe