- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
La Torre Review
You can enjoy straightforward Tuscan fare in the massive tower at the abbey's entrance, or, when it's warm, on a flower-filled terrace. The pici ai funghi (extra-thick handmade spaghetti with mushroom sauce) or zuppa di funghi (mushroom soup) take the sting out of a crisp winter day, and the grilled meats are a good bet at any time of year. If you want lighter fare, there's a bar serving panini that has outdoor seating.
- Address: Località Monteoliveto Maggiore 2, 8 km (5 mi) south of Asciano on SS451Asciano, 53041
- Phone: 0577/707022
- Location: Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Tues.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $1799 & up -- Italy 3-City, 9-Night Trip w/Air, Car & Train Europe Express
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- $438 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Royal Caribbean — $438 American Express Travel
- $549 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise, R/T Rome — $549 American Express Travel
When choosing a town for my first Amalfi coast visit, I wanted the best restaurant options within walking distance and also somewhere from which I could easily reach Pompeii. Read more
You never realize how dependent you are on the internet until you don't have it for a whole week! Read more
This forum has been so helpful planning my "Italian Holiday"........We have our length of stay set for next May, and are now looking for a place to stay for 4 nights. Would prefer a B&B or a Read more
· News & Features
They said it couldn't be done...that it's impossible to find a tour bus-free patch of Tuscany to explore.... Read more
A New Yorker and a Tuscan walk into a bar...Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos, hosts of the Cooking Channel's... Read more
Tuscany in the fall means brisk days of olive oil tasting and countryside strolls, and evenings spe... Read more