- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Castello di Gargonza
At a Glance
- romantic, one-of-a-kind accommodation in a medieval castle
- peaceful, isolated setting
- standard rooms are extremely basic
- a little out of the way for exploring the region
- private transportation is a necessity
Check Rates from our Partners
Castello di Gargonza Review
Enchantment reigns at this tiny 13th-century countryside hamlet, part of the fiefdom of the aristocratic Florentine Guicciardini and reinvented by the modern Count Roberto Guicciardini as an agriturismo. A castle, church, and cobbled streets set the stage. Guest rooms vary in style; some are decidedly more basic than others. However, high wood-beam ceilings, terra-cotta floors, and modern bathrooms are the rule throughout. Apartments have three to eight rooms each, sleeping as many as 10 people, and have as many as four baths. A minimum three-night stay is required for most rooms; a minimum one-week stay for the apartments.
- Address: SR73 28 km (17 miles) southwest of Arezzo, Località Gargonza, Monte San Savino, 52048 | Map It
- Phone: 0575/847021
- Website: www.gargonza.it
- Location: Arezzo
- 37 rooms, 8 apartments.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed last 3 wks in Jan. and Feb.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Pisa Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $266+/Nt Expedia
- Stay 2 night and save 15% off your stay!: Galilei in May Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Pisa Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- La Torre in May: $69 & Up — $69 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at La Pace Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia
Here are the details of my trip to Venice, Montalcino & Florence with my husband in May-June 2010. Read more
Here are the details of my trip to Rome & the Amalfi Coast (with a base in Positano) with my husband in May 2009. Read more
I like my pair of Jambu Ocean - http://www.sneakersseekers.com/Jambu-WJ13OCE-Womens-Ocean-Sandal/dp/B00BVBZ98U
but I am not sure if that is on ok footwear to wear during the day in Italy. They are comfortable Read more
· News & Features
They said it couldn't be done...that it's impossible to find a tour bus-free patch of Tuscany to explore.... Read more
A New Yorker and a Tuscan walk into a bar...Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos, hosts of the Cooking Channel's... Read more
Tuscany in the fall means brisk days of olive oil tasting and countryside strolls, and evenings spe... Read more