This sleepy town, sitting on a small knoll about 15 km (9 mi) south of Sansepolcro, would probably attract little attention if it were not for the fact that Piero della Francesca stopped here to paint one of his greatest masterpieces in the 1450s.
Museo "Madonna del Parto". Not surprisingly, only one painting is displayed here, Piero's Madonna del Parto (circa 1455), a fresco depicting the expectant Virgin flanked by two angels. Originally painted for the small chapel of Santa Maria a Momentana in Monterchi's cemetery, the work was restored in 1992–93 and moved, shortly thereafter, into the museum. The iconography of the image is extremely rare and, emphasized by its static atmosphere and studied symmetry, the fresco achieves an extraordinary sense of enigmatic and monumental spirituality. Via Reglia 1, 52035. 0575/70713. €3.50; pregnant women are admitted free of charge. Apr.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 9–1 and 2–7; Nov.–Mar., Tues.–Sun. 9–1 and 2–5.
- Address: Sansepolcro
- Location: Sansepolcro