Santa Maria della Pieve (Church of Saint Mary of the Parish)
Santa Maria della Pieve (Church of Saint Mary of the Parish) Review
The curving, tiered apse on Piazza Grande belongs to a fine Romanesque church that was originally an Early-Christian structure, which had been constructed over the remains of a Roman temple. The church was rebuilt in Romanesque style in the 12th century. The splendid facade dates from the early 13th century, but includes granite Roman columns. A magnificent polyptych, depicting the Madonna and Child with four Saints, by Pietro Lorenzetti (circa 1290–1348), embellishes the high altar.
View deals in Tuscany for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More