Tuscany's first town hall was built between 1208 and 1254, with a no-nonsense facade, fortresslike crenellations, and a five-sided tower. Such fortifications were commonplace at the time; these served as a model for other similar structures throughout the region, including Florence's Palazzo Vecchio. The Florentine medallions that adorn the facade here were added after the Florentines conquered Volterra. The town leaders still meet on the first floor in the Sala del Consiglio;
the room is open to the public and has a mid-14th-century fresco of the Annunciation.
Piazza dei Priori, Volterra, 56048, Italy