- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Barga is a lovely little hill town with a finely preserved medieval core. It produced textiles—particularly silk—during the Renaissance and wool in the 18th century. You won't find textiles here today; now the emphasis is on tourism. Here the African-American troops known as the Buffalo Soldiers, are remembered by the locals for their bravery in defending this mountainous area during World War II.
Walking around Barga is not for the faint of heart: it's one steep uphill after another to get to the tiny centro storico, and more steps to get to Piazza del Duomo.
Barga at a Glance
Elsewhere in Pisa, Lucca, and Northwest Tuscany
- Bagni di Lucca
- Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Cinque Terre
- Forte dei Marmi
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises