At the heart of Vicenza, this square contains the Palazzo della Ragione (1549), the project with which Palladio made his name by successfully modernizing a medieval building, grafting a graceful two-story exterior loggia onto the existing Gothic structure. Commonly known as Palladio's basilica, the palazzo served as a courthouse and public meeting hall (the original Roman meaning of the term "basilica") and is now open only when it houses exhibits. The main point of interest, though, the loggia, is visible from the piazza. Take a look also at the Loggia del Capitaniato, opposite, which Palladio designed but never completed.
Vicenza, Veneto, 35122, Italy