In September 1943 the Nazi occupation established Italy's only concentration camp in this rice-processing factory outside of Trieste. In April 1944 a crematorium was put into operation. The Nazis destroyed much of the evidence of their atrocities before their retreat, but a good deal of the horror of the place is still perceivable in the reconstructed museum (1975). It has been an Italian national monument since 1965, and now receives more than 100,000 visitors per year.
It can be reached easily by municipal bus 8 or 10; by car it is off the Autostrada A4, exit Valmaura/Stadio/Cimitero.
Via Giovanni Palatucci 5, Trieste, 34148, Italy