- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Considered the most romantic and charming of Veneto towns, the visually striking hillside hamlet of Asolo is a top place to use as a base for touring the surrounding countryside—at the very least plan to stop here for lunch after a visit to the Palladian villa at Maser.
Through the centuries, Veneto aristocrats built elegant villas on the hillside, and in the 19th century Asolo became the idyllic haunt of musicians, poets, and painters. And it's no wonder why—this is one of Italy's most perfectly situated villages, with views across miles of hilly countryside. Be warned that the town's charm vaporizes on weekends and holidays when the crowds pour in. Even on weekdays, the village, given over to tourism and vacation houses, has almost no local population. Asolo hosts a modest antiques market on the second Sunday of every month except July and August.
Asolo at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Veneto and Friuli–Venezia Giulia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's