- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Three of the top sights in the region demand advance planning:
Reservations are required to see the Giotto frescoes in Padua's Cappella degli Scrovegni—though if there's space, you can "reserve" on the spot.
On the outskirts of Vicenza, Villa della Rotonda, one of star architect Palladio's masterpieces, is open to the public only on Wednesday from mid-March through October. (Hours for visiting the grounds are less restrictive.)
Another important Palladian villa, Villa Barbaro near Maser, is open weekends and several days during the week March to October. From November to February, it's open only on weekends.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe