- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Walking Liguria's extensive network of trails, and taking in the gorgeous views, is a major outdoor activity. The mild climate and laid-back state of mind can lull you into underestimating just how strenuous such walks can be. Wear good shoes, use sunscreen, and carry plenty of water—you'll be glad you did. Trail maps are available from tourist information offices, or upon entry to the Cinque Terre National Park.
Other walks to consider: On Portofino promontory, the relatively easy walk to the Abbazia di San Fruttuoso is popular, and there's a more challenging hike from Ruta to the top of Monte Portofino. From Genoa, you can take the Zecca-Righi funicular up to Righi and walk along the ring of fortresses that used to defend the city, or ride the Genova-Casella railroad to one of the trailheads near the station stops.
Walking tours can introduce you to lesser-known aspects of the region.
For the Cinque Terre and the rest of the Province of La Spezia, the Cooperativa Arte e Natura (Viale Amendola 172, La Spezia 0187/739410 email@example.com www.guideartenatura.it) is a good source for English-speaking guides. A full day costs around €210 for groups up to 25 people.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's