- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Italy 2014
This village at the eastern end of the Cinque Terre is built into a river gorge (thus the name, which means "river major"). It has a tiny harbor protected by large slabs of alabaster and marble, which serve as tanning beds for sunbathers, as well as being the site of several outdoor cafés with fine views. According to legend, the settlement of Riomaggiore dates as far back as the 8th century, when Greek religious refugees came here to escape persecution by the Byzantine emperor.
- Address: Stazione Ferroviaria, Riomaggiore, 19017 | Map It
- Phone: 0187/762287
- Website: www.aptcinqueterre.sp.it and www.parconazionale5terre.it
- Location: Riomaggiore
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
After a fabulous vacation in Rome in November 2013, I was having a hard time getting the city out of my mind. Read more
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
Hi, I'd like to get some input on a trip I'm organizing between May and June (21 days) to cover some of France and some of north Italy.
I'm from Argentina and will be travelling with my wife and my 2 1/2 Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more