- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Italy 2014
This village at the eastern end of the Cinque Terre is built into a river gorge (thus the name, which means "river major"). It has a tiny harbor protected by large slabs of alabaster and marble, which serve as tanning beds for sunbathers, as well as being the site of several outdoor cafés with fine views. According to legend, the settlement of Riomaggiore dates as far back as the 8th century, when Greek religious refugees came here to escape persecution by the Byzantine emperor.
- Address: Stazione Ferroviaria, Riomaggiore, 19017 | Map It
- Phone: 0187/762287
- Website: www.aptcinqueterre.sp.it and www.parconazionale5terre.it
- Location: Riomaggiore
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Trip to Sicily: March 3-22, 2014
My husband and I had originally planned a trip to Sicily for last September but, due to family issues, we had to postpone the trip until this March. Read more
I'm planning to drive a rental car in Southern Tuscany for a week.
How reliable the GPS is in Tuscany? Do I really need a detailed local map or GPS will be good enough?
Thanks for your help. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more