- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Nestled at the end of a valley of pine forests, olive groves, vineyards, and medieval villages lies this sunny seaside town: an alternative and usually less expensive base to explore the Cinque Terre and the Riviera di Levante. There's a long sandy beach and a charming, colorful old quarter with plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants. Levanto has become a haven for not only sun worshippers but also divers, surfers, and hikers (and the path between Levanto and Monterosso, about a 2.5-mile hike with free entrance, is breathtakingly beautiful in its own right). It's also an ideal starting point for day trips by train or boat to many interesting places along the Riviera such as Portovenere, Lerici, Tellaro, and Fiascherino heading toward La Spezia; and Portofino, Santa Margherita, Camogli, and Sestri Levante heading toward Genoa.
Elsewhere in The Italian Riviera
- Albisola Marina
- Finale Ligure
- Giardini Botanici Hanbury
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's