- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Near Liguria's border with Tuscany, this colorful village dates to the 1200s. It is set on a magnificent coastline of gray cliffs and surrounded by a national park of pine forests and olive trees. The waterfront piazza is filled with deceiving trompe l'oeil frescoes, and seaside cafés line its charming little harbor that holds boats of all sizes.
There are several white beaches and bathing establishments dotting the 2-km (1-mi) walk along the bay from the village center to nearby San Terenzo. It was here that the writer and poet Percy Shelley spent some of his happiest days. After his death in 1822, the bay was renamed the Golfo dei Poeti (Gulf of Poets) in his and Lord Byron's honor.
With its proximity to the autostrada, Lerici makes a great base for exploring not only the more famous attractions of the area but also the tiny hill towns and walled villages that dot the hinterlands.
Lerici at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Italian Riviera
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the AC Genova by Marriott 3 Nts in Jun Fr $102+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- 4-Star Novotel Genova City Fr $78+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $46/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,099 Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Genoa Fr $106+/Nt — $106 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $399 — $399 Expedia